Friday, October 3, 2014

5 on Friday!

Am I the only one who thinks its crazy that it is October???

The weather here has still been very summer like with a bit of fall thrown in so I'm a bit in denial that summer is over.  Really though, I love the month of October.  It always seems super busy but I love the crispness in the air, the leaves changing, and the excitement that's building for the holiday season.

So since I have all three of my boys sleeping at the moment........wait a second, that needs to be documented again.  Since I have all.three.of.my.boys.sleeping.at.the.moment!!!!!!! I thought I would blog!  And link up for 5 on Friday!




1)  We planted apple trees this year and we were surprised to actually get fruit this year.  It was only 5 apples, but we sure did enjoy them!


2)  My sweet friend watched my older two boys, Benjamin and Jonah, yesterday.  They are good friends and the same ages as her two boys.  I took Ethan to his doctors appointment in the morning and then had the day at home in the quiet.  Peter and I (and Ethan) went to Chinese for lunch, and I cleaned in a quiet house with my music playing on Pandora.  Oh, and Ethan took his longest nap EVER.  Seriously, the child has not napped more than 60 minutes in over a month.  Not once.  And he took a 2 hour nap in the morning and a 2 1/2 hour nap in the afternoon.  WHAT?!?!?!  Pure bliss!  Oh, and he turned 2 months yesterday, update post to come!


3)  I made a dessert this week that I can't stop thinking about.  I love to browse recipes and that's what keeps me occupied most evenings after my boys are asleep.  So I combined 3 recipes into this dessert that is seriously amazing!!!!
This caramel sauce a la Pioneer Woman:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/01/easy-caramel-sauce/

and this apple mixture:
  • 1 1/2 cup sliced apples (I used Crunchpak)
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup water

on top of these muffins (minus the frosting and made in regular size not mini size):  http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/brown-butter-snickerdoodle-doughnut-muffins-with-brown-butter-buttercream-frosting.html

that were topped with cream cheese icing:

  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp milk

SERIOUSLY, SOOOO good!  I ate it too quickly to take a picture, but they were a big hit and delicious.  This was my inspiration picture though.....I just combined other recipes to make it perfect for me!


4)  The above dessert is really not helping with losing the baby weight.  I'd set a rule for myself to not have dessert during the week and allow myself a treat on the weekend.  And I was doing really good...until this week.  Oh well.  I kinda don't feel bad about it!  But I put my maternity pants away so I'd better not go too, too crazy :-)

5)  We're in the market for new living room furniture.  We love the idea of finding a deal on a leather sofa on craigslist and thought we found one.  It was advertised as Pottery Barn, but it was 35 minutes away.  We decided to go for it after being assured that it was in good shape, smoke free, etc.  Peter had to go by himself since we couldn't put a carseat in the pick-up.  When he got there, there was a rip in the loveseat, it had some cat hair, and it wasn't pottery barn.  But Peter bought the couch since it fit the look we were going for.  When I sat on it, I was disappointed in the quality of the leather (which probably wasn't leather!) and I was mad that we were essentially lied to.  I probably shouldn't be surprised or mad about it, but I was.  Anyway, we both determined very quickly that it wasn't what we wanted so it never made it into our house and I listed in on craigslist.  Peter felt bad but it wasn't his fault, I had talked to the people and was going on what they had told me.  Thank goodness, a nice family looking for furniture for their college student's apartment wanted the couch.  We had cleaned it up and it will be perfect for him even if it wasn't right for us.  And now, we will buy a new couch.  We're a bit burned out on craigslist, anyone else with me??


So happy that its Friday!  A beautiful, sunny, fall Friday :-)

1 comment:

  1. girl. i'm so mad for you about that couch! why did they lie? and the cat hair...that's just over the top. but your husband sounds so sweet...and he did exactly what my husband would have done. :) i will say, if you can find a floor model for pottery barn couches, you're in business. my friend has the leather turner and it is totally gorgeous. also, they are doing 20% off for friends and family if you have a pottery barn card. lastly, i have the PB grand comfort sectional and another PB couch upstairs and we absolutely love both. highly recommend! i lied...i have more to say...can you pretty please send that dessert to idaho? i'm 37 weeks pregnant and am devouring everything in sight. :) if you get a wild hair, you can totally link up for oh hey, friday! over at http://farmerbell.blogspot.com. we'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...