Thursday, May 14, 2015

Jonah turns 3!!

Jonah's birthday always seems to creep up so quickly after all the Christmas/New Years busyness and we had an extra trip planned for right at the end of the month, but with a little prep work we were able to celebrate our sweet Jonah!

We don't usually have big production parties for our kiddos, we like to keep things a little simpler but make sure they know how special they are on their special day.  One of those details is letting them determine what kind of cake they want and Mommy does her best to create it.  Jonah had been insisting for awhile that he wanted a Jake and the Neverland Pirate cake, complete with Jake, Izzy, Cubby, Captain Hook, and Tic Toc Crock.  And Bucky.  Yep, he was bound and determined that he wanted a cake that looked like Bucky, Jake's ship.  And no amount of deterring him would work.  So I searched a ton of images online for an inspiration cake that I could work off of.  I think I've realized that I can be a decent 'copycat' artist but can't figure it out on my own.

So, I took a few ideas, tweaked them a bit and spent a day creating Jonah's cake for him.  It's fun and special for me to take the time to do something just for my birthday boy even if cake decorating is not exactly my forte.  Thankfully my kids don't expect perfection and seeing their excitement is awesome!

Here's what I came up with....







The day before his actual birthday, we decided to have Auntie Amanda and Nana over for dinner.  He chose macaroni and cheese.  So of course I let him have what he wanted (and made BLT's for the adults!)  He was pretty excited to see his cake and have a little attention just on him!








And just in case you think that my cake worked out perfectly, here's what it looked like once you touched it at all....there was very little support and it sort of crumbled.  Ha ha!


After dinner, Jonah was ecstatic that is was time to open up his presents.  And I have to admit, its fun to spoil our little boy with a few things we know he'd love.




Benjamin had picked out some special presents by himself for his brother and it was adorable watching his excitement for Jonah and Jonah's gratitude towards him.  Brothers are the best!!











Jonah has been obsessed with How to Train Your Dragon lately and I actually had him look at all the different dragons and pick his favorite.  He settled on Hookfang but then I told him that I would make a note of that, but a lot of times we aren't able to get every toy we want for your birthday.  I wanted to get him exactly what he wanted but also wanted him to be a bit surprised so I played it up like he might not get Hookfang.  And the look on his face when he opened it was awesome.  He couldn't speak actually....he kept saying, "Mom....you said.....you said.....maybe not....get him......but......"  It was pretty cute and fun to watch.

On his actual birthday, it fell on a Sunday, so we went to church in the morning and then treated him to his yearly Happy Meal at McDonalds.






I will do a whole other post on everything Jonah is up to these days as a 3 year old, but it is safe to say that he completely stolen our hearts and we adore everything about him.  He is funny, energetic, stubborn, kind, ornery, loving and the perfect little part of our family.  Jonah Caleb, your whole family loves you gobs and gobs.  Never stop lovin', yeah, yeah.  Happy Birthday sweet boy, 3 years old is going to be a great year for you :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...