Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Potty training Jonah

I may have slightly lost my mind but I realized I had a few weeks where I wasn't going to be gone on the weekend and we didn't have any 'major' plans so I bit the bullet and decided to attempt to potty train Jonah.  He has shown some interest in the past, probably in part to having a big brother, but I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  We were starting about 4 or 5 months earlier than we started with Benjamin.  And I was hesitant to do so because it was a complete breeze with Benjamin.  Sure, he had accidents, but overall it was quick and smooth.

But I just kept thinking how nice it would be to only have 1 boy in diapers (when #3 comes) and how nice it would be to get potty training over with before I had to sit at the foot of a toilet with a nursing baby (like I did with Ben).  So the M&M's were bought, the toddler undies brought out, and Monday morning we started out.

To our surprise, he took to actually going on the toilet really well.  He understood the concept for both #1 and #2 and didn't seem scared at all, which was a bit different than Ben.  But there were definitely lots and lots of accidents that first week.  He is a stubborn one and refused to tell us that he needed to go.  If we put him on the toilet, he would go, but lots of times it was 'too late.'

Now, we're a couple weeks in and we've made lots of progress.  He still hesitates to tell us that he needs to go, but we've learned to see the 'warning signs' and can usually catch him before its too late.  He's still in a diaper at night, but I'm so proud at how quickly he's learning.  We crack up at how he says "I love you daddy, I love you daddy" over and over again when he's had an accident and knows he's going to face a consequence.  He looks stinkin adorable on the potty and I can hardly believe how big he's getting.  I'll spare those pictures on the blog for his sake, but his little body is just so cute!

Love my little guy who is so quickly becoming a big boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...