Thursday, September 4, 2014

Meeting their brother & our hospital stay

Since Ethan arrived so quickly and easily (everything is relative right?) we were able to have visitors really quickly.  My Mom had to work that day but she was able to sneak away for a quick visit to meet her 8th grandchild around 9am.  It was fun to recap all that had happened in the short time since I told her labor had started.  Love that she was able to be there for some of the first moments of Ethan's life!


Once she left, my sister brought Benjamin and Jonah because they were so excited to meet Ethan and didn't want to wait any longer!

It was absolutely adorable watching them meet Ethan.  They were so sweet, talked to him so kindly and just coo'd over him.  They wanted to hold him and hug and kiss him.  It was really sweet and an answer to prayer that they loved him so much.  I wasn't expecting anything different though since they were so sweet to Ethan while he was in my tummy.







What a fun memory of those first moments with our 3 precious boys.  We attempted to take a picture as a family of 5, and well, you know how those go.  At least its documented right??


We sure did know our lives were going to be B.U.S.Y but we really did feel blessed in that moment!

The boys stayed with my sister and Mom the rest of the day and that evening while we were in the hospital.  Later that night we got a visit from our great friends, Jeremy and Kristen and all their kiddos.  It was fun to share yet another life moment with them...it's been a full 10 years of friendship and memories with them!

The rest of the hospital stay was a breeze.  I immediately wanted to get out of the hospital gown into my regular clothes and I think the nurses thought I was a bit crazy for wanting to get up so soon, but I felt really good considering I had just delivered a baby.  I wasn't super uncomfortable, had no side effects from any medications because I had none, and just felt good.

So aside from the nurses having to check my vitals for the first 24 hours, we were left alone.  I think they got bored of filling my water cup over and over and me not needing much else.  But when Peter is such a good support and helper, and they let you order whatever you want to eat over the phone, and you feel good....you don't need much.  We just enjoyed Ethan, tried to sleep when we could, watched HGTV while we ate, and tried to soak up the quiet time with him.  The boys came by for another visit in the morning after my sister and Mom took them to the garage sale I was so disappointed to be missing (see birth story post)  They brought the clothes they had found for me for the boys in my place!




The cramps did get really uncomfortable while I was nursing him but I knew that was normal and that they often get worse with each child.  Ethan did end up having a little bit of jaundice (Benjamin and Jonah did too!) but his levels weren't high enough for them to put him in the isolette machine.  We were shocked and elated!  Our doctor was a bit slow checking on us on Saturday morning so our release was a bit delayed, but by 1pm we were heading out of the hospital.  Peter lugged our stuff (we had way overpacked thinking we'd be in the hospital a few days like we had had to do with our first 2) and I carried Ethan.



We headed home to 2 wild and crazy boys who were excited to see us, a bit sleep deprived and a little nutso.  It was a calm first evening home though and we got settled in pretty quickly.  Especially since my mom and sister had got out all of those baby items we would need like the swing, playpen, etc (thanks again!!)



It felt so good to be back in our home again with a healthy baby boy and his two big brothers.  God was so good to us and we are so grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...