Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Church Block Party

This year is our church's 50th anniversary.  That's pretty remarkable.  I always think it's such an amazing thing when I see a couple that's been married 50 years, and it's just as striking, if not more so, when a church hits that milestone.

Earlier in the year, we celebrated with former members and sister churches.  And 2 weekends ago, we celebrated with our community.  Not so much celebrating how great it is that our church has "made it" 50 years, but celebrating how good our God is and how we want to share His good news with our neighbors.

A planning team coordinated free carne asada and ice cream, games for the kids, bounce houses, classic cars, and a band that shared the gospel through the music of Johnny Cash.  It was a really good time and so amazing to realize what a great opportunity we have to share Christ with our neighbors.  I'm soo guilty of thinking too inwardly or too small when it comes to my witness at times.  It was a big stretch to get out of my comfort zone, actually engage with perfect strangers, and try to connect with their lives.  I hate that I can be so timid and I'm trying to work on it.

Anyway, there was about 350'ish people there and it all went off without a hitch.  It was an absolutely beautiful sunny day spent investing in each other and the community.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...