Friday, February 7, 2014

Jonah is 2!!!

For some reason when my kids turn 2 I have a hard time with it.  Something about turning 2 makes them no longer have any inkling of being a baby and its just a bit emotional for me.  Peter and I always sneak into the boys' room before we head to bed to check on them and give them a kiss.  And so the day before Jonah's birthday we tiptoed into his room and I had to take a picture of his last night of being one.  And then I stared at him, stroked his back, smelled his sweet remaining moments of babyness, and cried a tear or two (or fifty).


Oh, Jonah, why oh why must you grow up????

The morning came despite my attempts to freeze time, and it was January 25th, the day my little guy turned 2.  We had a full day planned with friends and family and he was excited.  We actually had our best friends little ones over on Friday night to stay the night.  We had wanted to have them over for forever but with sicknesses it'd always been delayed.  Jonah looooved having his little friends over.  We had pizza on Friday night, played with all sorts of toys, watched 3 Ninjas (what a glorious flashback to my childhood!).  Then on Saturday we had a big breakfast, ran a few errands, played, went to the park and got ready for his party in the afternoon.  Jonah's cousins were heading over for the party too...they happened to be in town while their parents were on a trip.  I usually keep their birthday parties pretty simple, just a few decorations with a theme of their choice.  And I let them choose what kind of cake they want Mommy to make (or attempt to make!)

This year Jonah wanted a woo woo cake.  Translated that means he wanted a fire engine cake....woooo wooo....get it?  So when I realized that a fire truck cake pan was $13, the cheapskate in me decided I could just attempt to freehand one on a sheet cake.  So I found an imagine that looked simple enough and I just duplicated it.  It was far from perfect, but it looked like a fire truck!  And when I was making it Jonah kept saying "whoah Mom.  Whoah!!  That cool.  That cool.  No way Mom.  No way."  It was hilarious.




Jonah was really shy when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him at his party, but he finally smiled when he was eating his cake and ice cream.  After all the kids ate their weight in sugar, they went outside to play for awhile.  Then we headed to McDonalds to let the kids play some more and get some dinner.  It was the greatest idea ever to take that many kids there for dinner.  All the kids played together well and had a blast.  We finally left around 7pm so we could head home for baths and bedtime.  My boys were SO tired that night, but they had had such a great day.

















Jonah Caleb, we are so smitten with you and so grateful you are in our family.  I can't believe 2 years has flown by but we have loved every day.  Happy Birthday sweet guy, love you forever.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...