Saturday, February 11, 2012

2 1/2 weeks with our 2 boys!

Has it really been 2 1/2weeks since Jonah's arrived and made us a family of 4?  We were driving the other day and were both excited and freaked out by the fact that the first 2 rows of our mini-van are now full :-)

Life has been busy and full but I wanted to remember a few details of our first 2 weeks with our 2 boys.
Tuesday Jan 24th-Friday Jan 27th:  we were in the hospital delivering Jonah while Benjamin was with friends and grandparents

Saturday Jan 28th-Tuesday Jan 31st:  enjoyed time with Peter's parents, went to church
Wednesday Feb 1st:  met with the lactation nurse at the hospital.  Jonah weighed about 6lbs 3ounces, but she gave the go ahead to just nurse him without having to pump and feed.  We also went to small group as a family of 4 that night!
Thursday Feb 2nd:  struggle miserably to get Jonah to stay awake to eat and latch on.  Have a slight meltdown but grateful for a husband that helped me push through those rough couple of hours.  Went for our first walk to the post office as a family.
Friday Feb 3rd:  celebrated the 2nd birthday of our precious Benjamin!  (see his bday post for details)
Saturday Feb 4th:  Ran a few errands, then cleaned house some and tried to rest when we could.
Sunday Feb 5th:  We all attended church (I skipped sunday school) and afterward I came home and made some goodies for the boys to watch the Superbowl at our house while I went to a Superbowl party for our EPIC girls.  Jonah was super the whole time and the boys had fun crashing at our place but I was pooped at the end of the day.  Oh, and I ate way. too. much.  But I'm trying to block that part out!
Monday Feb 6th:  Went to Benjamin's 2 year old well baby checkup and he's doing amazing.  We also did a weight check on Jonah and the nurse told me he was 6 pounds.  WHAT?!?!?!?!  I about had a heart attack because I was taking all the right herbs to help my milk supply and I thought Jonah was nursing pretty well.  I at least thought he would have maintained his weight and certainly not have lost any.  So I was pretty emotionally spent by the end of the day after I was told my baby was losing weight and I needed to start pumping again.  Honestly, it was really depressing.
Tuesday Feb 7th:  It was another long day feeding and pumping and I was tired and emotional.  Peter had an elder's meeting that night so I was wiped by the time bedtime rolled around.  But Peter was just so encouraging and supportive and wrapped me in his arms and prayed that we would know that God knows what's best for us and that we would trust in that.
Wednesday Feb 8th:  Peter went back to work after having 2 weeks of paternity leave.  I took Benjamin to Kristen's so I could go to another appointment with the lactation nurse.  She weighed Jonah right when we arrived and the scale said he was 6 lbs 9.5 ounces.  I just stared at the scale in disbelief!  How could this be when they told me he was only 6 lbs just 2 days before?  Well, apparently the scale was either off (it's not a nice electronic one like the hospital has) or the nurse read it wrong.  Either way, I felt a combination of relief and a bit of anger at having to spend the past 48 hours feeling a bit like a failure and not knowing how else to get my child to gain weight without supplementing.  So, it was super encouraging to know he's gaining and that I seem to be producing enough for him right now!
I ran errands in the morning after I picked Benjamin up, and later that night we went to small group.
Thursday Feb 9th:  We just hung out at home while Daddy worked.  I did laundry and fed Jonah a lot since he's hit a bit of a growth spurt and tonight we gave both boys a bath.

Friday Feb 10th:  Mama was tired today but we all survived and just played around the house.  That night we went to Red Robin and Costco, then came home and all went to bed early.

Saturday Feb 11th:  Peter let me sleep in a bit and he and Benjamin made French Puffs for breakfast and did the dishes.  Yep, I'm a lucky lady.  We gave Benjamin a haircut which is a chore in and of itself and now we're relaxing while the boys nap.  After they wake up we're going to go get some Lime Berry frozen yogurt since Benjamin "let us" cut his hair, ha!  I love weekends with my family :-)

Benjamin has done amazingly with Jonah.  He wasn't super interested at first, and very intentionally and jokingly called him Nehemiah (the name of our friends baby) but he has been super sweet with him and hasn't really been jealous of the fact that Mommy holds Jonah so often.  We're really proud of the big brother that he is!
Here are a few (okay, a bunch of) pictures of our first 2 weeks as a family of 4
 the life of a mama to a newborn right?
 having a little bday celebration with Poppy & GongGong a few days early
 wow, I got GongGong raisins!!
 I think this is our first pic as a family of 4
 Benjamin's new reading spot in the morning!
he's always asking to look at, talk to, or kiss brother Jonah
 oh how we pray that these brothers will be close!
 a rare moment of crying from our little guy
just chilling around the house
saying cheese while watching a show
 Mama, I wanna lay down by Jonah!!
 Hi Jonah, Hi Jonah.....imagine this said in the cutest little voice!
 Melt. My. Heart
 so sweet :-)
 oh this face says it all.  He is definitely 2 years old!
 he loooves jumping off the stairs!
 he's just plain crazy
 just relaxing, watching my brother run around like a maniac!
 this relaxing stuff makes me yawn
 aren't I sweet?!?
will my eyes stay blue like my mama and brothers?!?!
 Daddy loves storytime with his two freshly bathed little boys!
 "I a cool dude"....he insisted on wearing these at lunch
cleaning up after making Mommy breakfast, oh I love these two
 notice the crazy hair that really needed to be cut
and so we cut it, and he looks darling!

We've survived our first 2 1/2 weeks.  In fact, we've more than survived, we've loved it.  How truly blessed we know we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...