Friday, March 8, 2013

Small changes & ordinary days

Nothing too crazy going on this week.  We've done the typical "goings-on" of a normal week for us.  Went to the park, Costco run, Wal-Mart run, piano lessons, home group, soaked up the sunshine yesterday, went to the library.

My boys are at a fun age but also at an age that's pretty physically demanding during the day.  I'm always wiped at the end of the day.  And if I'm being honest, I've had far too many moments lately when I've lost my cool in frustration and not had the patience I should have with them.  So I'm trying really hard to combat that by doing a lot of little changes that hopefully will have a big impact.

First, I'm not letting myself spend more than a few minutes on the computer in the morning.  I get a lot of emails from people so I want to stay on top of that, but I'm finding that I can check it once in the morning and once before lunch and that's enough.  I was spending way too much time being there with my boys, but not "being there."

I'm also trying to make sure I have my own personal time for devotions.  This is improving and I want to keep it going.  Benjamin and I have also worked on memorizing Bible verses together.  He's really good at it and its so important.  I did this really well awhile ago and I want to get back to that.  It helps me keep focus when I'm disciplining him because I can say something like, "let's remember our verse, God tells us to be kind and compassionate to each other.  That's why it's not okay to hit our brother."  It reminds me that I'm not supposed to raise "good kids" who can follow rules really well but raise kids who want to love and obey Jesus.

On a totally different note, I'm also trying to make sure I get dressed in something other than t-shirts everyday.  And wear jewelry, comb my hair, look presentable.  It does wonders for my mood when I feel a bit more "put together" and the whole act of getting ready for the day helps me fight off the feeling to fall into the lazy "parent from the couch" routine.

Anyway, just a few things on my mind lately.  Here's a few pictures from the past couple of days.

 playing with our new toy from Wal-Mart
 swinging fun
Jonah has to get used to sitting in the grass, ha ha
on a tractor with a "lightsaber" to fight bad guys

he loved stacking the pieces into towers and knocking them over

 my sweet boy wanted a pic with mommy
getting ready to go to the library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...