Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A morning unplugged

Since we were dealing with sickness last week, and we worked on a few projects this weekend, and honestly, because I've been a little tired....Benjamin has watched a few too many shows and played a bit too much by himself while I lazily did things online.  I'm not anti-tv for kids or anti-independent play by any means, but I knew he needed some more attention from Mommy.

So this morning we unplugged.  We didn't watch Sesame Street or Little Einsteins or WordWorld and Mommy didn't get on the computer.  We had a morning unplugged from those distractions, just enjoying each other.

(okay, so the enjoying each other happened after Benjamin spent a good deal of time in timeout for getting out of his room AGAIN in the morning, then sassing his mama when she told him to stop banging on the piano)

But after the power struggle between me and the two year old, the fun was started!

First off, we made airplanes out of clothes pins and popsicle sticks.  I found the idea HERE on Pinterest.





Benjamin had a lot of fun painting the pieces and zooming the airplane afterward.

We also made fun puzzles made with popsicle sticks.  That idea is HERE on Pinterest as well.
 I first used a picture of Benjamin's cousins....he loved "piecing" them back together after I used a rotary cutter to split the individual pieces
 I also used a teddy bear cut from the front of a gift bag I had
then I used a picture of Bert from one of his coloring books

It was super easy to do and it provides some new puzzles for Benjamin to do that are a bit more challenging!
Then we built towers....and of course knocked them over again and again!


Then we worked on shapes using those same blocks.  He loves shapes!

We also had a little dance party (no pictures, ha!) and Benjamin "chased" Jonah and I with his new airplane. 
Jonah spent his time watching his brother paint from my arms, having some tummy time, and napping.



Then it was time for lunch which means Daddy comes home for a quick visit, and now its naptime for both boys (one in bed, one in the swing!)

I know there are always going to be days where I have outside responsibilities that mean Benjamin and Jonah will have to entertain themselves more but I think I was letting myself slack a bit too much and was feeling convicted.  Yes, I am up multiple times during the night nursing Jonah, and Benjamin comes into our room at 6:30am ready for the day, and that makes for a very tired Mama....but I want to always make sure I stay invested in my children and show them how much I love them through the time I spend with them.  Balancing taking care of the home and children and other ministries is tough.  Disciplining your kids consistently is exhausting.  But God is good and His mercies are new every morning to get me through day by day.  Sometimes I just need to unplug and remember that!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...