Sunday, May 13, 2012

Friends and sunshine

Friday night a big group of guys from our church took off for an overnight fishing trip.  I was really excited that Peter was going to get some away time and time to just enjoy learning from and encouraging other men in our church.

The downside was a Friday afternoon/evening and all day Saturday at home by myself.  Now yes, I realize that I am home with the boys all week by myself but somehow when it's the weekend, you psychologically just want your husband around.

So what's a girl to do?  Make plans to hang out with your amazing friend whose husband was also going to be gone.  Wonderful idea!

Friday night the boys and I went over to her house where we had homemade pizza and took the kiddos to the park.  Our older kids just played and played and our two youngest enjoyed the stroller ride while we walked around and caught up on life.  Having someone who you can chat with about anything and feel like she gets you is a blessing.

I got the boys to bed and enjoyed a few chocolate chip cookies, some HGTV, and some down time.  Then Benjamin fell out of bed at 11pm and was crying so I comforted him.  Then I fed Jonah and finally fell asleep around midnight.  Wouldn't you know it, Jonah woke up at 2:45 but took a paci.  At 3:15 when he woke up he didn't want a paci he wanted me.  So, I fed him and went back to sleep around 3:45. 

Jonah awoke again about 6:50....seriously little guy?!?!  What happened to the little boy I usually have to wake up at 9am???  I went to go feed him and Benjamin woke up 2 minutes after that.  Happy Saturday morning!  Guess we were going to make the 8am garage sales after all :-)  And that we did....we hit about 4 garage sales and got a few fun things then we came home because our friends were coming over.  It was going to be about 80 degrees and we couldn't wait to spend the day enjoying the sunshine!

 I blew up the pool in the backyard, got the water table ready, and the instant our friends came to our house at 11pm, the kids were outside in the water.  They played and played and played some more. 


Benjamin just looooooves his friends.  He would seriously move in with me them if I would let him.  It is so precious watching them interact!

Our younger ones enjoyed hanging out with us as we sat under the patio umbrella and talked. 


We ate lunch outside, and we finally made the kids come inside at 4pm after 5 hours of playing!  We gave them quick baths then let them watch Aladdin before a dinner of lasagna leftovers.  They worked on a few puzzles then it was time to head home about 7pm because the husbands were coming back.

At the end of the day I was just really struck by the gift of a good friend.  How wonderful it was to have someone who is in the same season of life as me, who I can laugh with, who encourages and challenges me, who I enjoy doing ministry with.  We spent about 11 hours with each other in 2 days and it was nothing but fun.  There's no stress or pressure, its just easy and relaxing.  I know that it is a rare gift to find such a friend and I am truly grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...