Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A typical 24 hours

This is probably going to be totally boring to most people (like most of my posts I imagine) but I wanted to document what a "typical" day is for our family so I can remember little details like that when I'm old and gray.  Wait, I am old AND I have found a gray hair on my head.  Yes, on my head.  And I'm not even 28 yet.  I'm doomed.

Okay, back to our day.

Here's what goes down in our house in 24 hours.  Definitely a lot less action than Jack Bauer experiences in 24 hours (we loved that show!) but it's full of activities even if they aren't as cool as thwarting presidential assassinations or trying to find out who is the leak in CTU.  Totally random, but aren't they supposed to be making a movie based on 24?  Anyway, here's what happens in our 24 hours.

8:15pm yesterday:  Both boys were changed, read to, sung to, and put down for the night.

8:15-10pm:  Peter and I vegged, browsing stuff online, half listening to the finals of the Voice (only the second time we've ever seen it), and ate ice cream

10pm:  I fed Jonah, changed his diaper and he went back down to sleep

10:30ish:  we head to bed, chat for a few minutes then drift to sleep

2:30am:  Jonah wakes up, takes a pacifier, goes to sleep

3:30am:  Jonah wakes up, not satisfied with the pacifier, I feed him (he normally doesn't wake up at all until at least 4:30)

6:10am:  Jonah wakes up again, I feed him again.  Peter wakes up to exercise and get ready for work

6:30am:  I go back to bed and try to fall asleep again

7:15am:  Benjamin wakes up and heads downstairs without me, forcing me to get out of bed with him before he helps himself to a movie, ha!

7:15-9am:  Benjamin and I play quietly (and by quietly I mean building towers and smashing them down violently) downstairs and I make breakfast....oatmeal for me, bagel with cream cheese for him.


9am:  Jonah wakes up, I feed him.  We all get dressed and ready for the day.

9:50am:  We head out to Safeway to pick up 1 item, then we head to the park in town.

10:15-11:45am:  We play at the park, going down slides, chasing butterflies, watching dogs catch balls that we're thrown, running around chasing each other.  Jonah slept in his car seat the whole time.

11:55am:  Get home, start lunch (chicken nuggets, celery with peanut butter and raisins, apples and oranges), then feed Jonah while Ben and I make up silly songs that rhyme

12:15pm:  Peter comes home for lunch.  We eat, clean up, change both boys diapers, and put Ben down for a nap at 1.

1pm:  Peter leaves to go back to work, I start making lasagna for dinner.  Jonah sits in the Bumbo on the counter while I make the meat/tomato mixture. 

1:30pm:  I sing to Jonah and put him down for a nap.

1:40pm:  I finish the other components for lasagna, then sit for a bit to check facebook, download videos off our video camera, and catch up on email.

2:10pm:  Jonah is awake.  I attempt to ignore him so he'll go back to sleep.....he doesn't.

2:30pm:  I get Jonah up and we play for a few minutes.  Then I feed him again and change his diaper.

2:50-3:20pm:  Playtime with Jonah, switch a load of laundry, pick up toys in the living room.


3:25pm-4:00pm:  My piano lesson arrives and Jonah plays on the floor and then sits in the swing while I give her the lesson.

4:00-4:30pm: I fold a load of laundry, start another load in the dryer, cook the lasagna noodles, and finish dishes.

4:30pm:  Ben wakes up from nap (suuuuuper long nap today, normally only around 2 hours) and we grab some milk, fruit snacks, and sidewalk chalk to play on the porch.  Jonah is still sleeping in his swing

4:45pm:  Peter is home from work and Jonah is awake.  We talk on the porch for a bit. 

5:15pm:  I put the lasagna in the oven, make a salad and dressing, thaw strawberries, wash more dishes.

5:30pm:  I feed Jonah

6:00-6:30pm:  We eat dinner, Jonah sits in his bouncy seat, and then we clean up

6:30-6:40pm:  We get the boys diapers changed and get shoes on for a walk

6:40-7:30pm:  We go for a walk in the neighborhood to feed the horse, throw rocks in the water, run around.  Jonah takes a cat nap in the stroller.

7:30pm:  I fold another load of laundry, Peter unloads the dishwasher, Benjamin works on a puzzle and Jonah plays next to him on the playmat.

7:55pm:  Peter gets Benjamin ready for bed while I feed Jonah.  Peter reads/sings to Ben while I get Jonah changed and dressed then I sing to Jonah and put him down.

8:30pm:  We are putting our feet up and trying to relax a bit.  Maybe with some ice cream??  And in a little while I'll go get Jonah to feed him again before we head to bed and start the cycle all over again.

It is definitely a FULL season of life right now but I love it.  Some days are harder than others but I know how lucky I am to have these wonderful blessings in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...