Thursday, May 3, 2012

I touched the movies.....again!

Benjamin loves going to our friend Kristen's house.  He also loves watching movies over there.  Unfortunately he is not allowed to touch the movies there (or at our house) because he can break them or break the DVD player.

When we were over there Tuesday night he touched the movies, despite a warning, and was punished.

We were going to head over there again on Wednesday for our small group so over dinner we reminded Benjamin that he was not to touch the movies.   That he was supposed to ask Mommy or Daddy if he wanted to watch one
(come to find out, on Tuesday when he touched the movies, he hit the "record" button and overrode some cartoons that their grandma had brought for them to watch.  Case in point as to why he shouldn't touch the movies!)

Okay, back to the story.

So he was warned, we thought he'd obey (of course right?) and off he went to play.  A little while later Peter brings him downstairs for punishment because he had.....yep, you guessed it, touched the movies.

Having a two year old is OH so much fun.

So he was punished and off he went to play.  I told Peter, "well, I don't think he'll touch them again."

BWA HA HA HA HA.....famous last words?

Not too soon after that, we were chatting in the living room and Kristen said to one of the other mom's, "the kids are okay, they are upstairs together....Benjamin put a movie on for them."

 I said, "Huh?"

"Well, I debated whether or not to tell you" says Kristen.

I just love how she loves my little boy and didn't want to get him in trouble despite knowing that he needed to.  I love my friends.

So, I figured I'd give the kids time to watch the movie since it was already on.  Until the other kids came downstairs, not watching the movie and said Benjamin didn't want to watch that movie anymore, but wanted Peter Pan (he's never seen it in his life)

Okay, mama.....ding ding ding, time to intervene.

I went upstairs and caught him redhanded with Peter Pan.

GUILTY.

Of course, he had to come downstairs and stand in the corner for disobeying.

While he was there another little girl about 1 1/2 came and stood next to him.  He looked at her and with tears in his eyes said.....
"I touched the movies......AGAIN."

He said it with such emphasis and exaggeration, I could hardly stifle my laugh.

It reminded me of the passage in Romans 7, where Paul talks about wanting not to sin, but ending up doing the very thing he hates doing, sinning.  How true is that in our lives?  We know what we should be doing, and what we desire is not to sin, but yet we do sin, time and time again.

Seeing the little struggle to do right in my two year old just makes me want to work harder in my own life to conquer those sins that grip me.  And by work harder, I mean do nothing on my own because that gets me nowhere, but rather allow the Holy Spirit to control me.  My heart desires to be an example to my boys of someone equipped to say no to temptation and overcome sin so they in turn might someday realize their bondage to sin and need of a Savior to become victorious.

I love you my sweet gotta-have-the-movies Benjamin.  Hopefully we'll learn to faithfully obey together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...