Friday, June 8, 2012

Our Kitchen

I'm a little late getting this up, but today I am linking up with Kelly @ Kelly's Korner again for her home tour.  It's so fun to "look" into other people's homes and I think it will be so fun to look back at this post in 20 years and be able to remember our first home. 

Here's a peak into our small, but well-used kitchen!
this is the view if you are standing in the living room.  I'm a pretty conservative/traditional decorator so the blue walls is a bolder color choice for me.  It is Denim by Sherwin Williams

the dried flowers are from Pike Place Market in Seattle, and the moveable kitchen cart was bought off craigslist and provides nice storage and extra "counter space" when needed

we bought our table from World Market during their huge furniture sale a few years back.  The placemats came from Wal-Mart.  We love that the bench can fit a lot of kids, scrunched together sitting on their knees :-)

We don't have a lot of counterspace but it is really functional and useable for a couple people.  The color of the cabinets isn't my favorite but they are in good shape.  I've considered painting them white, but can't decide.  My biggest hesitation is probably that I know that's such a huge job.
(by the way, ignore the dishes I didn't have time to put away yet and the crockpot cooking pulled pork.  It makes it look more cluttered but I guess it's more of a real life picture.)

the hallway off the kitchen leads to the garage (middle door) a half bath (door on the left) and washer and dryer (doors on the right)  The closest door on the right is our pantry.

It's so nice to have this extra space.  I painted the inside of the door with chalkboard paint so I can write ingredients I run out of and need to remember when I grocey shop next!

I do love having a window over the sink, but I still need to put up curtains.  I like the idea of a printed fabric but will probably end up with a simple white valance to balance the blue walls.  I need help in this department.

I've only recently put decor on top of the cabinets.  The picture is Target clearance that I had originally had in the living room.  The wood flowers were 50 cents at a garage sale that I repainted to match my decor, the basket was one I had in storage.
We'd love to put a tile mosaic backsplace underneath the cabinets but will probably only do it if we ever find a steal of a deal on materials like we did for our entry way and fireplace in our living room.

I found this frame at a garage sale and it sits in the hallway to hang my keys on just outside the garage

a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law from an artist in Ohio

the first picture we bought for our home as a married couple.  I really liked it and Peter went to buy it and surprised me with it.  I love its simplicity.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with our floors.  I love the look of the darker wood vinyl, but they also show every bit of dust/food/footprints/etc.  It seems nearly impossible to keep them consistently clean.  If it wouldn't cost me my son's college fund, I would love to put tile in the kitchen.

So, that's it.  It's certainly not big or perfect by any means, but we love our kitchen because we love to eat.  We really value our time around the table together as a family and are grateful for a wonderful space to do so.

Other rooms on Show Us Your Life:




3 comments:

  1. I love the blue walls! Our kitchen is blue as well, but a much light version.

    And I love the bench seat with the table. It's such a simple thing, but I just love the way they look.

    And just letting you know I'm stopping by from Kelly's Korner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blue contrasted with the cabinet color and your hidden chalkboard in the pantry. Great idea! I am always considering painting my cabinets white too, but can't pull the trigger. I always wonder if I will regret it later when the white kitchen cabinet trend passes...if it passes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like your blue walls, your bench and your pantry chalkboard -- that's a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...